Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stressed??


I don't know about you, but stress is my biggest hurdle to overcome as far as getting back into shape. Stress causes the body to create cortisol. It is a hormone that causes us to collect fat around our thighs and mid section. So in order to get that six-pack or loose the saddle bags we need to eliminate stress, right? In a perfect world, yes, but in the mean time there are some tricks to fighting cortisol.
The first is yogurt. Three 6oz servings a day to be precise. The active cultures and bacteria in yogurt help fight cortisol. Now if you are a busy person like me you don't have time to choke down three yogurts a day. I have found a solution it's called Bio Salud. It is a yogurt beverage and comes in 2oz shots that contain the same active cultures and bacteria. You can find it in the dairy section around the yogurt.
The second is more omega-3 fatty acids. Great sources of omega-3s is salmon, tuna, walnuts, flaxseed and almonds. So here is a great salmon dish to boost your omega-3 intake.

Salmon Recipe

salmon steaks
honey
almonds (sliverd or sliced not whole)
salt and pepper

First, toast almonds in the oven at 400F on a sheet pan until slightly brown. Next salt and pepper your salmon and grill until it is done the way you like it. I would suggest not cooking past medium. Then drizzle the honey over your salmon and spinkle with the almonds. Pair this with some sauted fresh spinach and a glass of Pinot Grigio.

Enjoy and have a happy health day!!
Chef Matt

1 comment:

  1. hmm I actually love yogurt but had no idea it was an active stress reliever. I only ate it cause it was healthy and it was sweet.

    You had answered my question on yahoo answers about calorie intake.
    I was coming to check on the precise answer. Im a male 20 years old and im pretty active i atleast run and work out 3 to 5 days a week with about about an hour at the gym and a 3-4 mile run. Plus I am in the Marine Corps so I have the other random things they put us through.

    IF you could help me with this answer it would be awesome. By the way this blog is very cool i will def add it to my favorites!

    ReplyDelete